Chandranath Pahar At Sitakundo
Chandranath Hill is 4 km from Sitakunda Bazar in Chittagong. A hill to the east is one of the most popular trekking routes for visitors. Its height is approximately 1020 feet. There are two ways to climb the Chandranath hill. The road on the right is almost entirely of stairs and the road on the left is entirely a mountain path, with some broken stairs. It’s easy to get up on the left side and down the stairs on the right, but you can use the path as you wish. After about 1 hour – 1.5 hours trek you will see Sri Sri Birupaksha Temple.
Every year a special puja is performed in this temple on the day of Shivratri i.e. Shivartudashi. A huge fair is held at Sitakunda centered on this puja. Hindus living in the Chandranath Hills area of Sitakunda organize a big fair every year in the month of Bengali Falgun (English February-March). Which is known as Shivartudarshi Mela. Numerous saints and men and women from different parts of the world including Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Bhutan, and Thailand participated in this fair.
About 150 feet away from the Birupaksha temple is the Chandranath Temple which is located on the top of Chandranath hill. About 100 feet of this 150-foot road you will have to climb a steep hill where it is very difficult to control yourself. Standing on the top of Chandranath hill, you will see the sea on one side and the solitude of the hill on the other side. You will be fascinated and look at the green trees of the high and low hills. Eyes will be covered in peace.
How to get there
From Dhaka leave AC, non AC bus from Saidabad bus station. Comfortable and reliable services are S.Alam, Saudia, Greenline, Silk Line, Sohag, Baghdad Express, Unique Prabhuti. All buses stop at Sitakunda. Buses from Chittagong leave Madarbari, Kadamtali bus station. Apart from that, you can also leave some small cars (locally known as Mexi) from Alangkar. Besides, the high-speed train “Dhaka Mail” from Dhaka stops at Sitakunda, leaves Dhaka at 11 pm, and reaches Sitakunda from 6.30 am to 6 am the next day. Other intercity trains go directly to Chittagong. Shivartudashi stops at Sitakunda only during the fair. CNG (20 / – per person) will be dropped from Sitakunda Bazar at the entrance of the hill. This is where the trekking begins. It usually takes an hour and a half to reach the top of the hill.
From Chittagong city, you can take a family CNG auto rickshaw on your own initiative. The fare will be 250 to 300 rupees. If you want to go by public bus, you have to get on the bus from Alangkar or AK Khan junction of the city.
Where to stay
In Sitakunda Raw Market area and in the area adjacent to Sitakunda Thana, there are few residential hotels of fair quality, among which Hotel Compote Zone, Jalsa, New Saudia, Saudia, Simon are notable. Hotel Compote Zone, Jalsa, New Saudia is relatively new and of good quality. Their room rent is between AC double bed – Tk1000 and non AC Tk500-700.
Besides, you can get any quality hotel or restaurant in Chittagong city. There are facilities of residential hotels and motels of different standards and prices in Chittagong city for accommodation. Apart from this, there are residential facilities for staying in Sitakunda or Bhatiari. Below are the names and addresses of some budget hotels. These are all standard but low budget hotels.
- Hotel Paramount, Station Road, Chittagong: Just opposite the new train station. In our opinion, this is the best hotel on a budget. Nice location, wide corridor (not even a five-star hotel with such a large corridor). The rooms are good too. Rent for non AC single 800 Tk, double 1300 Tk, AC 1400 Tk, and 1800 Tk. For booking: 031-2856771, 0171-3248754
- Hotel Asian SR, Station Road, Chittagong: This is also a very nice hotel. Tidy, clean hotel. Rent: Non AC: Tk1000, Non AC Single. AC: 1725 Tk. For booking – 01711-889555
- Hotel Safina, Enayet Bazar, Chittagong: A medium quality hotel with a family atmosphere. There is a beautiful restaurant on the roof. If you sit there at night, you will not want to come. Rent: Starting from 700 Tk. AC 1300 Tk. For booking – 031-0614004
- Hotel Naba Inn, Road 5, Plot-60, O, R Nizam Road, Chittagong. A little more rented hotel. However, it is ideal for those who want to stay in Nasirabad / and Nizam Road area. Rent: 2500/3000 Tk. For booking – 01755 564382
- Hotel Landmark, 3072 Sheikh Mujib Road, Agrabad, Chittagong: Good hotel to stay in Agrabad. Rent – 2300/3400 Tk. For booking: 0182-0141995, 01731-886997
Some useful things to keep in mind
- When picking up bamboo twigs while climbing the hill. If you sell it for 20 Tk, if you return it, you will get 10 / – back.
- Do not climb mountains with heavy bags or luggage. (There’s a money bag shop next to where you buy bash)
- There is an adequate supply of drinking water at the top so there is no point in pulling up from the bottom.
- (Drinking water, coke, cucumber, carrot, malt, banana, and more food has been provided now) Price is only 5 / – more than the normal price.
- After climbing a long way, the whole body will start trembling. So get up slowly. Don’t rush. Keep the head cool enough.
- It is better not to climb this hill in monsoon or after rain.
Read More: Komoldoho waterfall